Browse over sixty years of graduate student theses and dissertations.
View the list
100+ years of history
Symposium “Indiana at the Crossroads of American Anthropology and History: in honor of Raymond J. DeMallie” celebrates department’s 70th anniversary and AISRI.
Spring Colloquium Series featured alumni speakers Jeff Cohen (Professor Ohio State Unviersity), Eduardo Neves (Universidade de São Paolo, Brazil), and Lisa Cliggett (Professor, University of Kentucky).
The Student Building is named in honor of IU's ninth first lady Frances Morgan Swain.
Anthropology department celebrates 70 years at IU
The Mary Suzanne Savage scholarship for field research in North American archaeology was endowed by Mrs. Sally Rudolph to honor the memory of her sister.
IU Food Institute founded, co-directed by Professor Richard Wilk.
CaMP group established a blog to highlight department’s growing faculty strength in Communication, Media and Performance.
Symposium 'Rethinking Race in the Americas' celebrates 20th Skomp Distinguished Lecture and department's 60th anniversary.
Ph.D. program in the Anthropology of Food established.
The department experiences 50 percent faculty growth across subfields, consolidating areas of national excellence while expanding to new fields and regions of the world.
Stone Age Institute established, the first center in the world devoted to early human culture.
Center for Archaeology in the Public Interest founded. It still offers the nation's only doctoral concentration in 'Archaeology in Social Context.'
Center of Institutions, Population, and Environmental Change, a National Science Foundation Center of Excellence, established.
Anthropological Center for Training and Research on Global Environmental Change established, focusing on the human dimensions of global change.
Center for the Documentation of Endangered Languages founded.
The department moves from Rawles Hall into its present location in the remodeled Student Building.
Undergraduate Anthropology Society founded.
Anthropology Graduate Student Association founded.
An affiliation with the Center for Research into the Anthropological Foundations of Technology (CRAFT) is established.
Annual Skomp Distinguished Lecture in Anthropology established.
American Indian Studies Research Institute founded.
David Skomp Endowment established to provide support for graduate student development.
Glenn A. Black Laboratory of Archaeology established. Through the efforts of Eli Lilly and IU, the laboratory is dedicated as an independent research facility in 1971. It includes Eli Lilly's archaeological collection, records and collections from Glenn Black's excavations of Angel Mounds, and more than 10,000 collections of artifacts from sites in Indiana and the Midwest.
Neumann's Anthropology Museum merged with the IU Museum, now known as the Mathers Museum of World Cultures.
Archives of Languages of the World and the Arizona Field Station in Anthropological Linguistics founded by Carl Voegelin. Professor Thomas Sebeok establishes The Research Center for Anthropology, Folklore, and Linguistics.
Paul Gebhard, who joined the Anthropology department in 1946, becomes director of the Institute of Sex Research (the Kinsey Institute) and remains its director until 1982. His appointment begins a trend in which Anthropology faculty serve as directors or codirectors for several area-study programs, including African Studies, Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Classical Studies, and the Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies Program.
Ph.D. in Anthropology offered for the first time.
The Archives of Traditional Music is formed by initial efforts of George Herzog, followed later by anthropologists Alan Merriam and Anthony Seeger. Anthropology of Arts develops to become one of the oldest strengths of the department.
July 1, 1947
Department of Anthropology officially established, offering A.B. and A.M. degrees in Anthropology. The degrees embrace four specialized subfields: archaeology, social-cultural anthropology, linguistic anthropology, and bioanthropology.
Glenn Black and William Adams set up a laboratory to process faunal materials from excavations at Angel Mounds in southern Indiana. It was formally established as the Zooarchaeology Laboratory in 1955, and is now known as the William R. Adams Zooarcheology Laboratory.
Neumann establishes Anthropology Museum with collection of pioneer and Indian artifacts purchased years earlier by IU President William Lowe Bryan.
Charles 'Carl' Voegelin appointed the first professor of Anthropology. Additional faculty hired: Georg Neumann in 1942, appointed as assistant professor of Zoology, and Glenn Black in 1944, initially appointed a lecturer in Zoology.
Weatherly leaves. Anthropology left adrift for several years until Eli Lilly, philanthropist and businessman, enters the picture. Lilly, a dedicated archaeologist, provides funds to help establish professorships in Anthropology.
IU hires Ulysses Weatherly as a faculty member in Anthropology. Weatherly teaches for 40 years, developing the first Museum of Anthropology and Social History at IU.
Department of Economics and Social Sciences established, consisting of political economy, commerce, and sociology. Anthropology studied as sophomore foundation course in sociology.